October 19, 2017

Chasing Dreams



Excited. Nervous. Happy. Curious. Motivated. Ambitious. Driven. These are some of the feelings I had on August 28, 2015, the day I moved to New York City to pursue a career in fashion. I was ready and I felt like I could conquer the world. I had a plan to success and I knew it was going to work. It HAD to work. It's been a little over two years since I left my family, friends and comfy lifestyle in Mexico behind. Little did I know it wasn't going to be as easy as I thought.

Not only is New York a tough city, but fashion is a very tough industry. Everybody knows it. If you have ever watched "The Devil Wears Prada" and wondered, "Is that even real?", I got some news for you: It is! It's as real as it gets. I think I have had enough experience so far to prove this. From fetching coffee, to running around the city picking up and dropping off samples, to going to the sketchiest part of Brooklyn to some taxi driver's house where my boss left her wallet, to even calling every single liquor store in Manhattan because the editor-in-chief of a magazine I worked at decided he wanted a sugar-free margarita mix (which doesn't exist btw). I have gone through a lot.

Trying to climb the success ladder in fashion can be really hard. Especially when you are new to a country, completely alone, and there's thousands of other girls who want the same thing as you do. Sometimes this makes it easy to think: "What's the point?" Or: "Why am I doing this to myself?". In order to be successful no matter what your career path is, you have to work really hard to get there. You have to pay your dues, success doesn't come easy. We hear this time and time again and we choose not to listen. It's not until we are faced with obstacles once, twice, three times, that we start to question the purpose of all the struggle we are going through.

The next time the question "What's the point?" pops into your mind and you feel like giving up, stop for a second. Take a moment to look around. Look back to all what you have been through. When I look back in those moments of struggle and frustration, I suddenly realize that I have travelled a long path. I have gone through a lot but I have moved forward. I have accomplished a lot, and there's more yet to come. Keep going, don't give up.

Today, more than two years living in this crazy city, I still feel as excited, motivated, ambitious and driven as the very first day. Remember why you started. Remember what your purpose is.  I believe everything is possible with hard work, positive energy, and knowing with every fiber in your body that you will get there.✨









0 comments:

Post a Comment