November 9, 2017

What's the point?

     


    What's the point? This is a question I often ask myself whenever times get hard. What is all this for? Why struggle, why this, why now? Why, why, why? Have you ever asked yourself why? Why did you choose that career path? Why do you put up with all the hard work? Why didn't you opt for a more comfortable lifestyle? Why?

This question starts popping up in my head more and more as I realize that we are the sole masters of our destiny. We are completely free to do whatever we want in this world. It's just a matter of:

1. Wanting something badly enough.
2. Visualizing yourself living that life and trully believing that you can have it.
3. Working towards the life you want, no matter how small you start, just do something.

I believe those three simple steps can lead to living the life you have always dreamed of. 

Following this mindset is that now I find myself living in New York City, with an apartment one block away from Central Park, working at a fashion magazine, and attending what's considered one of the best fashion schools worldwide. Sounds like a dream right? Well, yeah sometimes I tell myself that life is great, somebody pinch me. But I'm still very far from having the life I have always dreamed of. 

It's not easy to be a fashion student in New York City working as a underpaid, overworked fashion assistant, who also works retail on the weekends. Not having a single day off ever can have a toll on you. It's in those moments of exhaustion, that is easy to forget the reason why you started this journey in the first place. It's in those moments, that I ask myself, "Why"? 

I found myself going through this mental process recently, when I really started to question what my purpose in life was. What do I want to get from all of this? Is it worth it? I closed my eyes. I inhaled. I exhaled. Minutes came and went. And I started to visualize the life  I wish to have in the future. I felt the excitement I used to feel when I thought about what I wanted to do. I felt the motivation and ambition that drove me to be here in the first place. I took a look back, and admired the long path I have gone through so far. This made me realize that I have come a long way. I have had good times and bad. I have cried and I have also laughed. I have had the best days of my life, and the worst. And I wouldn't change a single thing. Sometimes I want to quit, but then I remember why I'm doing this. It's all these experiences that make us grow and get better. It's the collection of these moments that will lead you to live the life you have always wanted for yourself.

So I ask again. What is your purpose? If you don't know yet, try asking yourself the following:

1. Why did I start this journey? What brought me here?
2. What do I see myself doing in 10 years? 5? 1 year? 6 months?
3. What am I doing today? Is this teaching me something I could use to achieve my future goals?
4. What have I gone through to get where I am today? What obstacles did I face? What positive experiences did I have?
5. Are you happy right now? If the answer is no, is it worth it? What can I change to feel excited every morning?
6. Say thank you. Be grateful for all the experiences and knowledge you have acquired. Every little thing is shaping your path to success in one way or the other.

Following these simple steps will help you find your "Why". For more motivation I recommend watching this TEDx talk by Simon Sinek, who further explains the importance of figuring out your "Why" before anything else in any aspect of your life. 

Lead with the "why" and success will follow. Lead with the "why" and you will be excited to wake up every morning. Lead with the "why" and you will see more of the good everyday has to offer instead of the bad. Lead with the "why" and you will be more happy.✨





0 comments:

Post a Comment